Job description Illustrator And Graphic Designer near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for an illustrator and graphic designer in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Graphic designers and illustrators (NOC 5241).
Graphic designers and illustrators
Graphic designers conceptualize and produce graphic art and visual materials to effectively communicate information for publications, advertising, films, packaging, posters, signs and interactive media such as Web sites and CDs. They are employed by advertising and graphic design firms, by establishments with advertising or communications departments and by multimedia production companies, or they may be self-employed. Graphic designers who are also supervisors, project managers or consultants are included in this unit group. Illustrators conceptualize and create illustrations to represent information through images. They are almost solely self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Graphic designers
- Consult with clients to establish the overall look, graphic elements and content of communications materials in order to meet their needs
- Determine the medium best suited to produce the desired visual effect and the most appropriate vehicle for communication
- Develop the graphic elements that meet the clients' objectives
- Prepare sketches, layouts and graphic elements of the subjects to be rendered using traditional tools, multimedia software and image processing, layout and design software
- Estimate cost of materials and time to complete graphic design
- Use existing photo and illustration banks and typography guides or hire an illustrator or photographer to produce images that meet clients' communications needs
- Establish guidelines for illustrators or photographers
- Co-ordinate all aspects of production for print, audio-visual or electronic materials, such as Web sites, CDs and interactive terminals
- Co-ordinate sub-contracting
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Supervise other graphic designers or graphic arts technicians.
- Consult with clients to determine the nature and content of illustrations in order to meet their communications needs
- Develop and produce realistic or representational sketches and final illustrations, by hand or using computer-assisted design (CAD) software, for printed materials such as books, magazines, packaging, greeting cards and stationery
- Assist in developing storyboards for electronic productions such as multimedia, interactive and digital products and television advertising and productions
- Produce 2-D and 3-D animated drawings or computer illustrations
- May adapt existing illustrations.
- Illustrators may specialize in a particular field such as illustrations for children, advertising, editorials, humour, or medical, scientific or technical illustration, or multimedia design.
- bank note designer
- 3D animation artist
- graphic artist
- graphic designer
- layout designer
- medical illustrator
- scientific illustrator
- graphic designer - multimedia
- multimedia illustrator
- advertising designer
- animator - animated films
- commercial artist
- Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
- Interior designers and interior decorators
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
- Graphic arts technicians
- Date modified: